Our FlexFit smart adjustable bases are a final sale once delivered in the home. Although Sleep Number does not recommend it because you lose the smart features, like auto Underbed lighting and Foot Warming, you can use a different mattress on our FlexFit adjustable base. Not all traditional mattresses are compatible with an adjustable base. The ideal mattress for an adjustable base can bend and flex while maintaining its structural integrity. If the mattress does not have a side border rod and it is 10-12 inches in profile height, it will work. All memory foam and latex foam mattresses that are up to 12 inches in profile, are compatible. There are hundreds of adjustable-friendly mattress designs available. If you do decide to return your smart mattress, our Customer Service and Home Delivery teams will ensure your base is configured to work with an alternative mattress.
- These steps are the same for all Sleep Number® FlexFit™ Adjustable Bases.
- This is a 2 person job.
- This should take 10 minutes.
- Retainer bars can be ordered here online.
Some smart mattresses with adjustable bases have magnets that emit a strong magnetic field when the mattress or magnets are detached from the base.
Strong magnetic fields can damage electronics, electronic/magnetic storage devices, AV equipment, bank/credit/debit cards, etc.
When the mattress is attached to its base, the magnetic field is less than 5 Gauss at any distance and is considered safe for all persons.
When a mattress is not attached to a base, such as when transported or serviced, persons with medical implants should stay a minimum of 3 feet away from the magnets.
To minimize the risk of a pinch injury, keep magnets away from each other and away from other metal objects.
1.One person lift and hold the foot of the mattress while the other person works to install the retainer bar.
2. Feel with your hand near the end of the bed to locate the retainer holes through the fabric.
3. Use the white locator pins to poke a hole in the fabric.
4. Completely push the locator pin into the base.
- Queen and smaller bases have 2 retainer holes.
- King base have 4 retainer holes, 2 per side.
5. Push the ends of the retainer bar into the locator pins.
6. Pull the retainer bar down towards the foot of the bed to lock it into place.