What is circadian rhythm?
SleepIQ technology offers Sleep Number bed owners many features that make it easy for them to know their best sleep and improve their health and wellness. One of these is our Circadian Rhythm feature.
"Circadian rhythm is your 24-hour internal clock… known as your sleep/wake cycle. If you’ve ever noticed that you tend to feel energized and drowsy around the same times every day, you have your circadian rhythm to thank.” – National Sleep Foundation
Regular sleep habits such as going to bed and waking up around the same time each day, 7 days a week, are the best way to keep your circadian rhythm on track. Often times, things such as travel, an early morning meeting, an exciting baseball game going into extra innings, or even sleeping in on the weekends can get in the way of our ability to maintain a regular sleep routine.
Straying from a regular routine, for whatever reason, can disrupt your circadian rhythm. When this happens, you may feel sluggish, struggle to stay awake, and have trouble paying attention. Your circadian rhythm can also influence eating habits, digestion, and other bodily functions.
Our Circadian Rhythm feature makes it easier for sleepers to understand the importance of a consistent sleep schedule and perform their best mentally and physically every day.
How the circadian rhythm feature works
After 7 days of consistent sleep, SleepIQ analyzes sleepers’ sleep and wake cycles and establishes an ideal sleep schedule and provides personalized insights to promote consistent sleep schedules and improve quality of sleep.
Your ideal schedule
The ideal schedule feature is based on consistent sleep for 7 nights within an hour time period.
- Going to sleep at 9:45 for 3 nights and 10:15 for 4 nights results in an ideal sleep schedule with a recommended bedtime of approximately 10:00pm.
- An inconsistent sleep schedule such as 9:45pm for 3 nights and 11:30pm for 4 nights won’t generate an ideal schedule because the times are more than one hour apart. A message will appear in the SleepIQ app offering tips to achieve a consistent schedule.
Your optimal times for activities
Based on sleep and wake times, sleepers can see optimal times to complete different activities such as workouts, dinner, most alert times and wind down times.
Like the Ideal Schedule feature, 7 days of consistent sleep are needed to generate optimal times for activities.
Accessing the Circadian Rhythm Feature
The Circadian Rhythm feature updates daily and accessing it is easy.
- Open the SleepIQ app and select the Sleep tab.
- Locate the Circadian Rhythm section where it shows last night’s bedtime and wake time.
Note: the Circadian Rhythm section will not display for short, nap sleep sessions.
- Select View Details to see additional Circadian Rhythm details.
- On the Sleep tab, view insights into ideal sleep schedule and consistency.
- Bedtime/Wake time: Times shown in green text means you hit your ideal sleep schedule. Yellow text would indicate you missed your ideal sleep schedule.
- Past 7 days summary: Light green columns show an ideal schedule. Dark green rows indicate when you met the ideal schedule. Gray rows indicate when you either missed your bedtime, wake time, or both.
- On the Your Day tab, view insights into the best times for working out, eating dinner, winding down, and when you are most alert during the day.
- Suggested times are calculated based on sleep session data coupled with research around ideal times for digestive, cognitive and physical health, as well as wind down times.
- More consistent bedtimes and wake times enable SleepIQ to predict when you'll be at your best throughout the day.